Use these must-do Fall maintenance tips to keep your house IN SHAPE and help keep you WARM!
- Gutters & downspouts: Regularly clean and make sure all drainage areas are unblocked by leaves and debris.
- Check the wood trim around windows, doors, railings and decks by probing with a screwdriver. Use caulk to fill the holes or completely replace the wood.
- Inspect your roof to examine wear and tear. If shingles are curling, buckling, or crackling, replace them. If you have a lot of damage, it’s time to replace the entire roof. Also check the flashing around skylights, pipes and chimneys.
- To prevent your exterior water pipes from bursting when the weather gets below freezing, turn off the valves to the exterior hose bibs. Run the water until the pipes are empty.
- Wrap water pipes that run along exterior walls with heating tape. It will save energy and prevent them from freezing.
- Clean and replace filters in your furnace or heating system.
- Check the attic to make sure the installation is installed properly.
- Rake up thick layers of leaves that settle on your lawn surfaces.
- Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms and put in new batteries.